According to Co-operative Funeralcare, Elgar’s ‘Nimrod’ is the most popular classical piece for funerals.
The highest-ranking hymn is ‘The Lord is My Shepherd’ (Psalm 23), followed in second place by ‘Abide with Me’.
Co-operative Funeralcare publishes a list of the most popular music at funerals every two years and ‘Nimrod’ has remained the most popular piece of classical music over the last ten years.
Pachelbel’s Canon is the second most popular piece of classical music, followed by ‘Time to Say Goodbye’ performed by Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli.
In Wales, Katherine Jenkins’s version of ‘Time to Say Goodbye’ is the most popular classical piece.
Here is the full list of the most popular classical pieces to be requested for funerals:
1. ‘Nimrod’ from Enigma Variations (Elgar)
2. Canon in D (Pachelbel)
3. ‘Time to Say Goodbye’ (performed by Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli / Katherine Jenkins)
4. The Four Seasons (Vivaldi)
5. Ave Maria (Schubert)
6= ‘Nessun Dorma’ from Turandot (Puccini)
6= Adagio (Albinoni)
7. ‘Pie Jesu’ (Fauré)
8. Air on a G String (Bach)
9. Clair De Lune (Claude Debussy)
10. Cavalleria Rusticana Intermezzo (Mascagni)
The most popular hymns are:
1. The Lord is My Shepherd (Psalm 23/Crimond)
2. Abide with Me
3. All Things Bright and Beautiful
4. How Great Thou Art
5. Amazing Grace
7. Old Rugged Cross
8. Morning Has Broken
9= The Day Thou Gavest Lord Has Ended
9= I Watch the Sunrise
10. Ave Maria